Information in English

Answers to frequently asked questions by Ukrainian people in Delft.

Help and Questions

Do you need help, or do you have questions about your shelter accommodation? Then please contact ‘Delft voor Elkaar’ at 015 760 02 00 or Delft voor Elkaar is available by telephone Mondays to Fridays between 09.00 and 17.00h to answer your questions.

Reporting point

I fled Ukraine and have no shelter, where can I report? 

You can register between 8:00 and 23:00 at the Broodfabriek in Rijswijk. This is the place for the central coordination of emergency shelters and distribution of people all over the region, which also includes Delft. The address of the Broodfabriek is:

Volmerlaan 12
2288 GD Rijswijk

From the reporting point you will be taken to a reception facility. If you should need help or have any questions about your reception facility, contact ‘Delft voor Elkaar’ at 015 760 02 00 or

I have fled Ukraine and am staying with family (friends or a host family), do I have to report somewhere?

Although you are not required to report to the Broodfabriek in Rijswijk, you must register as soon as possible with the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen; BRP). To make an appointment, please contact the municipality of Delft (Gemeente Delft) at telephone number 14015. The address of the municipality of Delft is: 

Gemeente Delft
Stationsplein 1 
2611 BV Delft

Where do I find the reporting point? 

The reporting point is located in De Broodfabriek, Volmerlaan 12, 2288 GD Rijswijk. You can get to Rijswijk by tram, bus or train. You are advised to check your route at journey planner 9292. Here you can enter your current location and desired destination. The journey planner will show you which bus, tram, or train to take. 

What happens as soon as I have reported with the reporting point in Rijswijk?

Municipal and medical staff are in attendance at the reporting point. There is a doctor as well. These people will receive you and ensure that you are given a place to sleep. At first this will be an emergency shelter. In a later stage the municipality will try to move you to a more permanent form of accommodation.    

Shelter and daily life

Where in Delft will Ukrainians be staying?

Right now Delft puts Ukrainian people up in accommodation like hotels and the ‘Pauwmolen’ building and in the ‘Stefanna’ and ‘Abtswoude’ nursing homes. ‘Vestia’ corporation will provide temporary housing. We promise you that you will not end up on the street. And we will inform you as soon as we have found you a more permanent form of accommodation. 

What does Delft do for its refugees?

Apart from accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided at the reception facility. Medical care is also available. Free food packages are available from the food bank.

Can I bring pets to the shelter in Delft?

We regret that the Delft shelters do not admit pets. 

Where can I take my laundry for washing? 

Are you staying at a facility provided by the municipality? Then you can take your clothes for free washing by DOEL Delfland. They will pick up and return your laundry. You can contact DOEL at:

DOEL Delfland van Groenewegenstraat 
Van Groenewegenstraat 2 
2614 BG Delft
015 – 260 75 70 (from 09:30 – 17:00h)

Do I require car insurance for the Netherlands?

Do you have a car insurance that only covers Ukraine? In that case you are not insured inside the Netherlands. You may take out temporary car insurance from insurance company ‘De Vereende’. Please contact the company at telephone 070 – 3408 100 or online at

On you can read more about the validity of your foreign driving licence, traffic rules and regulations and parking in the Netherlands. 


Do I have a right to social assistance or a living allowance? 

Ukrainian refugees receive € 260 per person per month. This is meant for you to buy things like food, clothes and other personal belongings. Refugees who stay with a host family receive an extra monthly allowance on top of their living allowance. Adults get € 215 per month extra; children under the age of 18 € 55 per month. These amounts are meant for things like public transport, family visits or sports.

You may also use this money to contribute to the costs of your host family, but you are not obliged to do so. In May, the municipality pays out part of the monthly amount every week. From June you will receive the full amount on a monthly basis.

How long will I get a living allowance?

Your living allowance stops as soon as you find paid employment. You must report this with the municipality. In that case your living allowance stops by the first day of the next month.

Can I open a bank account in the Netherlands?

Yes, you may open a bank account on showing your passport.

Work and Employment

Am I allowed to work in the Netherlands?

Ukrainian people may take up employment as soon as they are fit to do so. For more information, go to If you should have any more questions about working in the Netherlands, go to or


Will there be schools for my children?

In Delft there are three primary schools for children who are not from the Netherlands. You may contact any of the following schools: 

For secondary education, contact the international preparatory class (Internationale Schakelklas) of Grotius College: Christine Storm, 015-800 00 80, c.storm@grotiuscollege. When you send an email, please state in the subject that it concerns registration of a pupil from Ukraine. More information about the Dutch school system can be found at

I am a student. Can I study here? 

The conditions on which you may study in the Netherlands are not known yet. For more information, apply to the UAF. The UAF provides study counselling and mediates in finding work in the Netherlands employment market. They also provide scholarships, mentorships and language classes.

What is the cost of school education in the Netherlands? 

School education is basically funded by the Dutch government. A few supplies, like school trips, must be paid by the parents themselves. It is important that you first register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen; BRP). When you have registered you may apply for a Delft pass (Delftpas) and school expenses scheme. In most cases the Dutch government does not reimburse intermediate and upper vocational (MBO & HBO) or university education. In that case you may apply for a government loan.

May Ukrainian refugees apply for a Delft pass (Delftpas)?

Yes, this is possible for school-age Ukrainian children. Here, too, it is important for the parents to first register with the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen; BRP). When you have registered you may apply for a Delftpas and school expenses scheme.

What is the Delftpas? 

With a Delftpas you can do all kinds of activities in Delft and its surrounding region. Like free cinema or museum visits. Or a visit to the zoo and an ice cream in town. The Delftpas is valid from 1 March 2022 to 28 February 2023. 

Where can I learn Dutch?

You can go to ‘Taalhuis Delft’ home of the Dutch language. Taalhuis is an information point located in DOK Voorhof for all people who want to learn to speak, read and writeDutch (or improve this). And for parents who would like to read to their children. You are also welcome at Taalhuis if you need help in arithmetic or spending your time and money wisely. Consulting hours: Thursdays 14.00 - 17.30h; Fridays 14.00 - 17.30h

You may just walk in, without making an appointment. Taalhuis is also available at telephone number 015 - 744 00 62 during the hours mentioned above. And you can email us at


Where can I go when I need medical care?

In acute need for help or life-threatening conditions, call emergency number 112. For other healthcare requests, contact the healthcare coordination centre (Zorgcoördinatiecentrum) at They are available Mondays to Sundays between 09:00 and 23:00 hrs. Outside these hours, so between 23:00 and 09:00, contact Huisartsenpost Delft: 015 – 251 19 30. But only if your request cannot be put off until the next morning.

Is medical care reimbursed? 

Are you in urgent need of medical care in the Netherlands while (still) being uninsured, in life-threatening conditions for instance? Then you will be reimbursed from a special provision for people without insurance. In that case your doctor or practitioner will apply for reimbursement on your behalf. You are not charged a personal contribution for your treatment. For more information, go to

Can I contract health insurance?

Do you have a residence permit? In that case you can contract health insurance. If you do not have a residence permit, you cannot contract health insurance yet. Your medical treatment is paid through your healthcare provider.

Any questions about healthcare in the Netherlands? 

The healthcare insurance line gives free advice and practical healthcare tips. You may always call them, whether you are insured or not. If you have any questions, call 0800 - 64 64 644. Or when abroad, call +31 88 900 69 60. For more information in Ukrainian, go to

Your stay in the Netherlands

Do I have to apply for asylum? 

Did you come to the Netherlands on a biometric Ukrainian passport? Or on a short-stay visa? Or do you have a residence permit here? In these cases you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands and do not need to apply for asylum.

Do you want to apply for asylum as an Ukrainian person, now or later? Then it may take a while for the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst; IND) to handle your application. The IND will not take any decisions on asylum applications from Ukrainian persons in the coming months.

Are you not a Ukrainian citizen or permanent resident of Ukraine? Or a first-degree relative? Then you will probably have to apply for asylum to be allowed to stay here. This does not apply to non-Ukrainian citizens and stateless persons who were legal residents of Ukraine and are not able to return to their country or region of origin now. You can apply for asylum by reporting with the refugee facility in Ter Apel.

How can I get a residence permit?

You can stay in the Netherlands for a maximum of 180 days without needing a residence permit. For now you do not need a residence permit either. The Netherlands and other EU countries are working on a new provision specifically for Ukrainian people. Until then you do not have to worry about your right to stay in the Netherlands.

Do I need to integrate?

It is not yet known whether you need to integrate. The municipality of Delft is waiting for more information to come from the central government. 

I have been repatriated or evacuated from Ukraine. What are my rights? 

The Dutch government has a separate regulation for the repatriation and evacuation of citizens of the Netherlands, including their first-degree relatives and a group of vulnerable Ukrainian citizens. People in this group are entitled to certain allowances and insurance in the Netherlands.

In these cases, contact the Social Insurance Bank (Sociale Verzekeringsbank). More information is also available from


Can I go for a Corona vaccination?

You may go to any vaccination location of GGD Haaglanden without previous appointment for a free first, second or booster vaccination. For times and locations, go to

Can I take a Corona test?

You may do a self test in case of complaints. For more information, go to
You may also take a Corona test at a municipal health service (GGD) testing point. To find out about locations, go to

Other information

There is a special website for Ukrainians in the Netherlands: Here you will find general information on topics like shelter, care and education. This information is available in Ukrainian, Russian, English and Dutch.

Red Cross WhatsApp helpline

The Red Cross has a WhatsApp helpline for practical questions. You may enter a spoken question in Ukrainian, Russian, English or Dutch. After this you will be contacted as soon as possible by a volunteer in the language of your choice. You may also send a (voice) message to 06 48 15 80 53. For more information in the Ukrainian language, go to

Uw mening
Uw mening