Information in English

Answers to frequently asked questions by Ukrainian people in Delft.

Help and Questions

Do you need help, or do you have questions about your shelter accommodation, your registration in the municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) or the financial contribution you receive from us? Then please contact the municipality of Delft at telephone number 14015. 

For other questions, call ‘Delft voor Elkaar’ at 015 760 02 00 or Delft voor Elkaar is available by telephone Mondays to Fridays between 09.00 and 17.00h to answer your questions.

You may also go to one of the consulting hours organised by Delft voor Elkaar. Consulting times are in the Delft city office on Mondays between 14.00 and 16.00h and on Thursdays between 10.00 and 12.00h. Address: Stationsplein 1, Delft.

Delft voor Elkaar also uses its own WhatsApp group that you may participate in.

Reporting point

I fled Ukraine and have no shelter, where can I report? 

You can register between 8:00 and 23:00 at the Broodfabriek in Rijswijk. This is the place for the central coordination of emergency shelters and distribution of people all over the region, which also includes Delft. The address of the Broodfabriek is:

Volmerlaan 12
2288 GD Rijswijk

From the reporting point you will be taken to a reception facility. 

I have fled Ukraine and am staying with family (friends or a host family), do I have to report somewhere?

Although you are not required to report to the Broodfabriek in Rijswijk, you must register as soon as possible with the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen; BRP). To make an appointment, please contact the municipality of Delft (Gemeente Delft) at telephone number 14015. The address of the municipality of Delft is: 
Gemeente Delft

Stationsplein 1 
2611 BV Delft

Where do I find the reporting point? 

The reporting point is located in De Broodfabriek, Volmerlaan 12, 2288 GD Rijswijk. You can get to Rijswijk by tram, bus or train. You are advised to check your route at journey planner 9292. Here you can enter your current location and desired destination. The journey planner will show you which bus, tram, or train to take. 

What happens as soon as I have reported with the reporting point in Rijswijk?

Municipal and medical staff are in attendance at the reporting point. There is a doctor as well. These people will receive you and ensure that you are given a place to sleep. At first this will be an emergency shelter. In a later stage the municipality will try to move you to a more permanent form of accommodation. 

Shelter and daily life

Where in Delft will Ukrainians be staying?

Right now Delft puts Ukrainian people up in houses and apartments and in accommodation like hotels and the ‘Pauwmolen’ building and in the ‘Stefanna’ and ‘Abtswoude’ nursing homes. ‘Vestia’ corporation will provide temporary housing. All accommodation facilities named above are temporary.

What does Delft do for its refugees?

The City of Delft provides you accommodation. The City of Delft does not provide medical care. Medical care is arranged by the healthcare co-ordinator of the ‘Broodfabriek’.

Free food packages are available from the food bank. Delft provides food packages only temporarily, until we have arranged our financial contribution to you.

Can I bring pets to the shelter in Delft?

We regret that the Delft shelters do not admit pets. 

Where can I take my laundry for washing? 

Are you staying at a facility provided by the municipality? Then you can take your clothes for free washing by DOEL Delfland. They will pick up and return your laundry. You can contact DOEL at:

DOEL Delfland van Groenewegenstraat 
Van Groenewegenstraat 2 
2614 BG Delft
015 – 260 75 70 (from 09:30 – 17:00h)

Do I require car insurance for the Netherlands?

Do you have a car insurance that only covers Ukraine? In that case you are not insured inside the Netherlands. You may take out temporary car insurance from insurance company ‘De Vereende’. Please contact the company at telephone 070 – 340 81 00 or online at

On you can read more about the validity of your foreign driving licence, traffic rules and regulations and parking in the Netherlands.  

How is my liability insurance arranged?

Refugees from Ukraine are co-insured in the liability insurance of the municipality of Delft. ‘Centraal Beheer’ insurance company insures all Ukrainian status holders received by the municipality of Delft according to the regulations for relief of Ukrainian refugees [Gemeentelijke Opvang Oekraïners (GOO)].


Do I have a right to social assistance or a living allowance? 

Ukrainian refugees receive € 260 per person per month. This is meant for you to buy things like food, clothes and other personal belongings. Refugees who stay with a host family receive an extra monthly allowance on top of their living allowance. Adults get € 215 per month extra; children under eighteen get € 55 per month.

These amounts are meant for things like public transport, family visits or sports. You may also use this money to contribute to the costs of your host family, but you are not obliged to do so. 

If your situation should change (for instance when you move to another address, in case of changes in the composition of your family, if you take up paid employment, lose your pin card or change your bank account number) you must report this to the municipality as soon as possible. If you take up paid employment, the financial contribution we give you stops as per the 1st of the next month.

In May, the municipality pays out part of the monthly amount every week. From June you will receive the full amount on a monthly basis. You will receive your allowance each month on your own IBAN bank account or on the bank card provided by the municipality. The balance in this bank card cannot be more than € 2,000.- 

How long will I get a living allowance?

Your living allowance stops as soon as you find paid employment. You must report this with the municipality. In that case your living allowance stops by the first day of the next month.

Can I open a bank account in the Netherlands?

Yes, you may open a bank account on showing your passport. Most bank accounts are opened with ING, SNS or BUNQ bank. These banks ask you to show a valid UA passport and an excerpt from the municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) which states your current address of residence.

Work and Employment

Am I allowed to work in the Netherlands?

Ukrainian people may take up employment as soon as they are fit to do so. For more information, go to If you should have any more questions about working in the Netherlands, go to or

I am looking for work. Who could help me?

Do you want to find work? Then contact ‘Werkse!’ organisation by calling 015 215 1400. Or send them an email at Werkse! is available Mondays to Fridays between 09.00 and 17.00 h.

You may introduce yourself to prospective employers using the ‘HalloWerk’ application.

What am I supposed to do?

As soon as you start working you must arrange your own healthcare insurance. This is compulsory in the Netherlands. More about this can be found at
Employers must inform the ‘UWV’ employee insurance agency as soon as they hire a person.


Will there be schools for my children?

In Delft there is one toddlers’ play group and three primary schools for children who are not from the Netherlands. You may contact the co-ordinator, Judith de Haas. She will in turn contact the available schools to find your child a suitable place.

  Contact person Telephone number Email address
Toddlers’ play group
2-3 years
Do-Re-Mi Judith de Haas +31 6 40 38 89 51
Primary schools
4-12 years
De Delftse Daltonschool
Basisschool De Horizon
De Mgr. Bekkerschool
Judith de Haas +31 6 40 38 89 51
Secondary education
12-18 years
International class
Grotius College
Christine Storm +31 15 800 0080
Vocational education
18+ years
ROC Mondriaan Annemieke Bol +31 88 666 2000

Remember to clearly state the name(s) of the pupil(s), age(s) and the records of the contact person (preferably a parent).

If you register by email, please mention explicitly that it concerns a pupil from Ukraine. More information about the Dutch school system can be found at

I am a student. Can I study here? 

The conditions on which you may study in the Netherlands are not known yet. For more information, apply to the UAF. The UAF provides study counselling and mediates in finding work in the Netherlands employment market. They also provide scholarships, mentorships and language classes.

What is the cost of school education in the Netherlands? 

School education is basically funded by the Dutch government. A few supplies, like school trips, must be paid by the parents themselves. It is important that you first register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen; BRP). When you have registered you may apply for a Delft pass (Delftpas) and school expenses scheme. In most cases the Dutch government does not reimburse intermediate and upper vocational (MBO & HBO) or university education. In that case you may apply for a government loan.

Where can I learn Dutch?

You can go to ‘Taalhuis Delft’ home of the Dutch language.

Taalhuis is an information point located in DOK Voorhof for: all people who want to learn to speak, read and write Dutch (or improve this) and for parents who would like to read to their children. This can for instance be done using the language course for adults named ‘Taal op Eigen Kracht’. You are also welcome at Taalhuis if you need help in arithmetic or spending your time and money wisely. Consulting hours: Thursdays 14.00 - 17.30h; Fridays 14.00 - 17.30h. 

You may just walk in, without making an appointment. We are also available at telephone number 015-7440062 during the hours mentioned above. And you can email us at

You can attend conversation courses provided by ‘Delft voor Elkaar’.

Activities to participate in

What is the Delftpas? 

With a Delftpas you can do all kinds of activities in Delft and its surrounding region. Like free cinema or museum visits. Or a visit to the zoo and an ice cream in town. The Delftpas is valid from 1 March 2022 to 28 February 2023. 

May Ukrainian refugees apply for a Delft pass (Delftpas)?

Yes, this is possible for school-age Ukrainian children. Here, too, it is important for the parents to first register with the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen; BRP). When you have registered you may apply for a Delftpas and school expenses scheme.


Where can I go when I need medical care?

In acute need for help or life-threatening conditions, call emergency number 112. For other healthcare requests, contact the healthcare coordination centre (Zorgcoördinatiecentrum) at They are available Mondays to Sundays between 09:00 and 23:00 hrs. Outside these hours, so between 23:00 and 09:00, contact Huisartsenpost Delft: 015 – 251 19 30. But only if your request cannot be put off until the next morning.

Is medical care reimbursed? 

Your basic insurance only reimburses urgent medical care. Are you in urgent need of medical care in the Netherlands while (still) being uninsured, in life-threatening conditions for instance? Then you will be reimbursed from a special provision for people without insurance. In that case your doctor or practitioner will apply for reimbursement on your behalf. You are not charged a personal contribution for your treatment. For more information, go to

Can I contract health insurance?

Do you have a residence permit? In that case you can contract health insurance. If you do not have a residence permit, you cannot contract health insurance yet. Your medical treatment is paid through your healthcare provider. As soon as you start working you must arrange your own healthcare insurance. More about this can be found at   

Any questions about healthcare in the Netherlands? 

The healthcare insurance line gives free advice and practical healthcare tips. You may always call them, whether you are insured or not. If you have any questions, call 0800 - 64 64 644. Or when abroad, call +31 88 900 6960. For more information in Ukrainian, go to

Your stay in the Netherlands

Do I have to apply for asylum? 

Did you come to the Netherlands on a biometric Ukrainian passport? Or on a short-stay visa? Or do you have a residence permit here? In these cases you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands and do not need to apply for asylum.

Do you want to apply for asylum as an Ukrainian person, now or later? Then it may take a while for the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst; IND) to handle your application. The IND will not take any decisions on asylum applications from Ukrainian persons in the coming months.

Are you not a Ukrainian citizen or permanent resident of Ukraine? Or a first-degree relative? Then you will probably have to apply for asylum to be allowed to stay here. This does not apply to non-Ukrainian citizens and stateless persons who were legal residents of Ukraine and are not able to return to their country or region of origin now. You can apply for asylum by reporting with the refugee facility in Ter Apel.

How can I get a residence permit?

You can stay in the Netherlands until 4 March 2023 without needing a residence permit. For now you do not need a residence permit either. The Netherlands and other EU countries are working on a new provision specifically for Ukrainian people. Until then you do not have to worry about your right to stay in the Netherlands.

If you have registered with the municipality you may collect a proof of residence from the ‘IND’ immigration service from early June 2022. This proof of residence enables you to live and work in the Netherlands. It can also be used internationally to prove your rights. The ‘IND’ immigration service will soon issue information about how and when you may collect your document.   

Do I need to integrate?

It is not yet known whether you need to integrate. The municipality of Delft is waiting for more information to come from the central government. 

I have been repatriated or evacuated from Ukraine. What are my rights? 

The Dutch government has a separate regulation for the repatriation and evacuation of citizens of the Netherlands, including their first-degree relatives and a group of vulnerable Ukrainian citizens. People in this group are entitled to certain allowances and insurance in the Netherlands.

In these cases, contact the Social Insurance Bank (Sociale Verzekeringsbank). More information is also available from


Can I go for a Corona vaccination?

You may go to any vaccination location of GGD Haaglanden without previous appointment for a free first, second or booster vaccination. For times and locations, go to

Can I take a Corona test?

You may do a self test in case of complaints. For more information, go to

You may also take a Corona test at a municipal health service (GGD) testing point. To find out about locations, go to

For brochures about Corona (in Ukrainian), go to

Other information

There is a special website for Ukrainians in the Netherlands: Here you will find general information on topics like shelter, care and education. This information is available in Ukrainian, Russian, English and Dutch.

Red Cross WhatsApp helpline

The Red Cross has a WhatsApp helpline for practical questions. You may enter a spoken question in Ukrainian, Russian, English or Dutch. After this you will be contacted as soon as possible by a volunteer in the language of your choice. You may also send a (voice) message to 06 48 15 80 53. For more information in the Ukrainian language, go to

‘Delft voor Elkaar’ WhatsApp group

Delft voor Elkaar uses its own WhatsApp group for you to ask your questions to. You can report to participate in this group by contacting Delft voor Elkaar at 015 760 02 00 or at

Uw mening
Uw mening