Divorce notification

You can arrange for dissolution of your marriage by divorce. If you wish to divorce you must appeal to the court. Your divorce will not be definitive until you have filed it with the registry of births, deaths and marriages of your municipality.


You require an attorney to be able to divorce. The attorney will lodge the divorce petition with the court where the judge will pronounce the divorce. This pronouncement will successively be worded in a decision.

Registering with the municipality

Is the court decision definitive and is an appeal to a higher court no longer possible? In that case you must arrange for registration of the decision with the municipality where the marriage was contracted, within 6 months. Your attorney will receive the decision made by the court and will arrange its registration.