Moving to Delft from abroad

Students TU Delft and InHolland

Are you going to study at the TU Delft or at InHolland? Please make an appointment online with the code provided by the TU Delft or InHolland. If you don't have a code yet, contact the TU Delft or InHolland first to require your code.

Moving from abroad

Are you relocating from abroad and staying in the Netherlands for at least 4 months? Then you must register in person (including all family members) with the city within 5 days of arrival. Registration must take place in person at the Delft Registration Office (the municipality) located at Stationsplein 1. Call 14015 to make an appointment.


Bring to your appointment:

  • A valid travel document
  • A purchase or rental agreement. Or a signed Authorisation for Lodging form from the primary resident or owner, along with a copy of their proof of identification and the purchase or rental agreement of the primary resident or owner

Is this your first time moving to the Netherlands? Or are you from the Caribbean Netherlands (Aruba, CuraƧao, Sint-Maarten, Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius)? Then you should also bring with you to your appointment:

  • A recent original birth certificate (if available)
  • A recent original marriage or divorce certificate (if available)
  • Original proof of deregistration if you are coming from the Caribbean Netherlands


Documents from certain countries must be legalised or have an apostille. You can find more information on the website of the Dutch government.

Residence permit

Are you a citizen of a country outside the EU? Then you also need to apply for a residence permit with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

You lived here before

Were you registered in the Netherlands in the past? And has your personal situation changed since your departure, for example because of a marriage or birth of a child? Then you must report this during registration. Bring the official documents with you, if you have them.

Processing time

The processing time is 2 weeks. If you are moving from the Caribbean Netherlands the processing time can be up to one month.

Citizen service number (BSN) 

When you register with the city, you automatically receive a citizen service number. Within 4 weeks you will receive a written confirmation of your registration, including your citizen service number.

Highly skilled migrants

A different procedure applies for highly skilled migrants and expats. They can make an appointment at the expat desk of The Hague International Centre to register immediately.


Do you not live in the Netherlands? Or for a period shorter than 4 months? Then you can register as a non-resident. This is only possible at a municipality with a counter for non-residents (RNI municipality).